The Thermal Plankton of Saturnia
Plankton is a collection of microorganisms that plays a vital role in the earth’s ecosystem by consuming carbon dioxide and releasing up to 50% of the oxygen we breathe while also serving as an important food source for many creatures found in the waters. Besides playing a crucial role in the earth’s environment, plankton also influences the health of the skin. Saturnia’s famous plankton–found exclusively in its mineral-rich, sulfurous waters–is known to have extraordinary anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and regenerative properties.
The Legacy of Saturnia’s Plankton
Inside the waters of Saturnia lies the thermal plankton of Saturnia; a biogenic treasure of natural minerals and nitrogenous substances, rich in amino acids, sulfur, potassium and magnesium. This organic-mineral substance of a gelatinous consistency has been growing and maturing in Saturnia’s sulfurous thermal spring for hundreds of years. The plankton has been widely used in the treatment of skin diseases with its therapeutic virtues known since ancient times. Its effectiveness and tolerability have been tested and demonstrated at some of Italy’s most prestigious university centers to show its substantial benefits for the skin.
Its extraordinary benefits
- Protects the skin: plankton contains antioxidants that serve to shield your skin from free radicals such as UV radiation and environmental pollution which are known to aggravate premature aging.
- Repairs damaged skin: during its photosynthesis process, in which it absorbs sunlight and carbon dioxide to grow, plankton can develop an enzyme that repairs cell damage caused by the sun.
- Rejuvenates the skin: The environment that constantly surrounds us produces dirt and pollutants that can affect the skin’s ability to produce collagen. Without collagen, the skin’s elasticity reduces and produces wrinkles. Plankton extract fights off these oxidants to rejuvenate the skin, leaving you with plumper skin free of age-betraying wrinkles and fine lines.
- Hydrates the skin: plankton contains an abundance of fatty acids able to penetrate the skin to provide it with long lasting moisture, resulting in more supple and soft skin.
- Prevents blemishes: the plankton’s lipids regulate and balance oil production in our skin (sebum), preventing breakouts and blackheads from forming on the surface.
The onset of wrinkles on one’s skin is a clear sign of the passage of time. The objective of this line is to minimize the signs of the epidermis; the outer layer of the skin on which wrinkles and expression lines appear. Terme di Saturnia’s thermal plankton line relies on a polyfunctional plant complex able to enhance the defense of cells against oxidative stress, therefore tackling the problem of wrinkle formation at the root.