Why antioxidants in skincare are key in slowing the aging process and which ones are the best?
We know that antioxidants should be a staple in our diet as they have been linked to successfully help the fight against cancer but why are they so talked about in skincare and how do they work?
Oxidative stress happens when healthy skin cells are damaged by free-radicals, causing premature signs of aging such as lines and wrinkles, inflammation such as eczema or acne, redness and hyperpigmentation. Free-radicals are naturally produced by our body to neutralize viruses and bacteria. Free-radicals are highly reactive and unstable molecules that have one or more unpaired electrons. They steal electrons from healthy skin cells causing harmful effects to the cell’s DNA and health. Their formation is also triggered by the environment such as pollution, stress, UV light, radiation and other toxic chemicals.
That’s when antioxidants come to the rescue. They donate electrons to neutralize free-radicals and prevent oxidative stress and its harmful effects on the skin.
By doing so, their benefits are endless: they help correct signs of aging, prevent sunburn, help repair the skin, brighten and even the skin tone and may even prevent skin cancer.
The most popular and efficient antioxidants used in skincare today are:
- Vitamin A (or its derivative, Retinol). Its small molecule enables it to penetrate deep into the skin to stimulate collagen production, speed up the cell’s renewal and repair and smooths out wrinkles while improving skin tone. This active is extensively used in Terme di Saturnia Total Control, Anti-age Plankton, UltraCell, Spa Lifting and Rejuvenation lines.
- Vitamin B3 or niacinamide, which improves skin hydration, hyperpigmentation and elasticity. Terme di Saturnia after sun restorative cream utilizes this potent active.
- Vitamin C or ascorbic acid which stimulates collagen production and increases firmness and even skin tone. Terme di Saturnia Illumina and Total Control Lines rely on its properties.
- Vitamin E or tocopherol, a powerful skin repair agent helps undo the damages caused by oxidative stress. Found in Terme di Saturnia Total Control, Antiage Plankton, Hydrasponge, Illumina, Spa Lifting and Rejuvenation lines.
- Flavonoids and polyphenols such as Green or Black Tea offer anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic and anti-redness properties and are ideal for sensitive skins. Terme di Saturnia Black Label Line incorporates Black tea in its global anti-ageing formulas.
- Resveratrol, a compound found in the skins of fruits, plays a huge part in protecting the skin and is linked to prolong the cell’s life in the body. Terme di Saturnia Orotherm and Black Label line thread this active throughout their ranges.
- Other antioxidants used in skincare include curcumin or still CoenzymeQ10 (ubiquinone).
Antioxidants therefore are playing a vital role in reversing the damages caused by free-radicals and preventing further harm to the skin so make sure your skin regimen count them in.